WATER HEATING SPECIALISTS
Today's water heaters are big improvements over their predecessors.
With advancements in material science and computerized controls, and government mandates, heating water today is much more efficient, saving you energy and money.
Super efficient gas fired condensing water heaters extract so much heat that the flue pipe material is plastic instead of metal.
On demand water heaters do not heat water until you need it, saving the cost of storing hot water. Plus these heaters often are much smaller than conventional heaters, saving you the cost of valuable floor space.
The water heater or boiler is the most obvious component of a water heating system. There are other important components which affect the performance of your hot water system.
- Hot water distribution piping goes unnoticed until it springs a leak. Most hot water systems in Austin have copper components. High tempatures, plus Austin's aggressive water chemistry contribute to cause pinhole leaks in copper pipe and fittings. Another problem seen in metallic pipes is the build up scale, sometimes drastically reducing the flow of water. Energy is wasted 24/7 by non existent or inadequate pipe insulation.
- Circulation systems are necessary to provide hot water on a moment notice. If you waste a lot of water waiting for hot water to appear, you have a faulty circulation system. This could be the result of a failed circulator pump.
- Expansion tanks are often not installed when needed. Water is an incompressible liquid. When heated, water expands. If there a pressure reducing valve, or other valve preventing pressure relief, pressures within the water distribution system can become excessive. Sensitive valves such a dishwasher & clothes washing machines may be damaged. Supply hoses may also rupture as a result.
- Fuel sources in Austin are most often natural gas or electricity, with propane in rural areas.
Electrical heating elements are subject to shorting out and also scaling up with calcium carbonate.
Gas failures are mainly caused by safety switches, such as thermocouples, shutting off flow of gas. Gas leaks, if they occur, are an emergency. If you smell gas from an undetermined source, vacate the premises and call 911 from your cell phone.
- Venting of gas fired equipment is a critical component. Combustion of gas creates deadly and harmful vapors that must be removed by venting to the outside. It is also important that adequate air be supplied for combustion of the gas. Incomplete combustion creates sooting and dangerous vapors.
- Last, but most important, are the code required safety devises that must be installed with every hot water heating system. The tempature & pressure relief (T&P) valve is the most important of these safety devises. The T&P prevents the heater from developing explosive pressures, in the event of something like a thermostat failure.
HHCC Installs, Repairs and Services Most Makes and Models of Boilers and Water Heaters.